Guadagnino has indicated his lead actors are definitely going to be a part of any follow-up project, as well as the rest of the original cast. “Of course, it was a great pleasure to work with Timothée Chalamet, Armie Hammer, Michael Stuhlbarg, Esther Garrel and the other actors.
No one knows quite yet when the sequel might arrive—not even Guadagnino, who said that production has been put on hold because of the coronavirus pandemic. “Before coronavirus, I made a trip to the United States to meet a screenwriter I love very much, whose name I don’t want to say, to talk about the second part.
Even better, in the newly surfaced interview with the Italian newspaper La Repubblica from March, Guadagnino confirmed that Chalamet and Hammer will be revisiting their roles as Elio and Oliver for the new project.
However, before the novel came out, Hammer had told IndieWire that Guadagnino had already pitched a sequel script to him. “Dude, he broke down the whole script for us,” Hammer said back in 2018. “I mean, it’s not a finished script, but he’s got all the ideas for it.
Elio and Oliver are reportedly coming back! https://t.co/ATJa4JE9Cg— Glamour (@glamourmag) April 5, 2020